You Are Allowed to Enjoy Who You Are
Everywhere I look, there is another reminder that I should be improving. I should be reading more, exercising more, earning more, learning a new skill, becoming more disciplined, becoming more productive, becoming more successful. There is always another habit to build, another weakness to overcome, another version of myself waiting somewhere ahead.
Self-improvement is valuable. I believe in growth. I believe in learning from mistakes, challenging myself and becoming more capable than I was yesterday. But I also think there comes a point when improvement becomes exhausting.
When does the pursuit of becoming better become an inability to appreciate who I already am?
I do not think my relationship with myself can be built entirely around correction. I cannot spend my entire life looking at myself and seeing a project that still needs work. There has to be room for acceptance too. There has to be a moment when I can look at my life and say, “I am actually proud of myself.”
Not because everything is perfect. Not because I have achieved everything I want. Not because I have finally become the person I imagined I would be. Simply because I have made it this far. There are things about myself that I am still working on. There are habits I want to change, mistakes I regret and ambitions I have not yet achieved. But none of those things cancel out the person I am today.
I do not have to hate the current version of myself in order to become a better one. That distinction matters. Sometimes we treat self-criticism as though it is the same thing as motivation. We convince ourselves that being dissatisfied with who we are will push us forward. Perhaps sometimes it does. But constantly feeling inadequate can also make life feel like an examination we never pass.
There is always another goal. Another milestone. Another reason to feel behind. I am beginning to believe that I deserve moments that have nothing to do with improvement. I deserve to enjoy a good day without thinking about how productive it is. I deserve to celebrate something I accomplish without immediately moving the goalpost. I deserve to look at the person I have become and recognise the distance I have travelled. I deserve to be proud.
Not arrogant. Not complacent. Proud.
There is a difference between believing I am perfect and believing I am worthy of appreciation. I can acknowledge my flaws without making them the centre of my identity. I can want more for myself without treating what I currently have as inadequate. I can have ambitions without allowing those ambitions to convince me that I am not enough until I achieve them.
Maybe becoming a better person is not always about adding something new. Sometimes it is about becoming kinder to the person who is already here. The person who survives difficult days. The person who keeps trying. The person who makes mistakes and learns. The person who sometimes gets tired. The person who has changed, grown and continued even when nobody was watching.
That person deserves some credit.
I do not want to spend my entire life preparing to finally enjoy being myself. I want to enjoy myself now. I want to laugh without feeling guilty about being unproductive. I want to celebrate small victories. I want to appreciate the life I have while still working toward the life I want. There is nothing wrong with wanting to improve. I refuse to make improvement the price of self-respect.
I am allowed to grow. I am also allowed to pause. I am allowed to want more. I am also allowed to appreciate what I have. And perhaps most importantly, I am allowed to become someone I actually enjoy being.
Not someday. Now.
Comments
Post a Comment